Netflix Walks Away From Warner Bros Deal, Paramount Set to Take Over - MacRumorsOpen MenuShow RoundupsShow Forums menuVisit ForumsOpen Sidebar
Skip to Content

Netflix Walks Away From Warner Bros Deal, Paramount Set to Take Over

Netflix has dropped out of the takeover battle for Warner Bros. Discovery, putting Paramount Skydance on course to win the whole WBD business.

Netflix Smaller 2
The world's largest streaming service had been pegged to land a deal in which it would acquire Warner Bros., HBO, and HBO Max in a cash-and-stock deal valued at $72 billion in equity and $82.7 billion, including debt. But after Paramount submitted a final offer, valuing WBD at $111bn including debt, Netflix declined to match it.

In an announcement on Thursday, Netflix co-CEOs Ted Sarandos and Greg Peters said:

The transaction we negotiated would have created shareholder value with a clear path to regulatory approval. However, we've always been disciplined, and at the price required to match Paramount Skydance's latest offer, the deal is no longer financially attractive, so we are declining to match the Paramount Skydance bid.

We believe we would have been strong stewards of Warner Bros.' iconic brands, and that our deal would have strengthened the entertainment industry and preserved and created more production jobs in the U.S. But this transaction was always a 'nice to have' at the right price, not a 'must have' at any price.

Netflix shares surged by 8.5% in after-hours trading, indicating relief among investors that the streaming company has not risked overpaying for Warner Bros.

Warner's board said Thursday night that it still recommends Netflix's offer, but now views Paramount's bid as "superior" – its first sign of backing for the suitor that it labeled hostile when the takeover battle began in December.

Warner Bros. CEO David Zaslav said that Paramount's offer "will create tremendous value," and that WBD was "excited about the potential of a combined Paramount Skydance and Warner Bros Discovery."

Assuming Paramount's takeover is successful, it will give its owner Larry Ellison ownership of not only Warner Bros. and HBO, but also news channels CNN and CBS News. However, the deal still needs regulatory approval, so nothing is for certain just yet.

Popular Stories

airpods pro 3 pink

New Apple Card Holders Can Get Free AirPods Pro 3, But There's a Catch

Monday May 18, 2026 8:11 am PDT by
Apple today launched a new promotion offering new Apple Card holders the chance to earn back the cost of AirPods Pro 3 through monthly cash rebates, but there is a recurring spend requirement attached. Customers who open a new Apple Card account and purchase AirPods Pro 3 directly from Apple by June 15 will qualify. Starting July 1 and running through April 30, 2027, cardholders can earn $25 ...
Foldable iPhone 2023 Feature 1

Foldable iPhone Production Stalls Amid Hinge Issues

Monday May 18, 2026 7:29 am PDT by
Trial production of Apple's long-anticipated foldable iPhone, likely called the "iPhone Ultra," has run into a significant engineering hurdle centered on hinge reliability, according to a known leaker. The leaker known as "Instant Digital" posted on Weibo that the foldable device's hinge is consistently failing to meet Apple's quality control standards under conditions of prolonged,...
wwdc apple park in person

Apple Announces WWDC 2026 Schedule, Sends Media Invites

Monday May 18, 2026 10:23 am PDT by
Apple today provided a schedule for its 2026 Worldwide Developers Conference, which starts on June 8 and ends on June 12. Apple also sent out invites to members of the media who have been invited to attend an in-person keynote viewing at Apple Park. Both the invites and schedule confirm that the keynote will begin at the standard time, 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time or 1:00 p.m Eastern Time....

Top Rated Comments

breather Avatar
12 weeks ago
Worst.Timeline.Ever
Score: 38 Votes (Like | Disagree)
abowlby Avatar
12 weeks ago
I think Larry Ellison owning 40% of our national media is a boon for the truth and in no way antithetical to a free press. 🥴
Score: 29 Votes (Like | Disagree)
12 weeks ago
Now I guess Netflix will wait 2 more months for a price hike instead of 2 more weeks.
Score: 29 Votes (Like | Disagree)
spartan1967 Avatar
12 weeks ago
Feel sorry for the qualified journalists at CNN with this news.
Score: 21 Votes (Like | Disagree)
b0nd18t Avatar
12 weeks ago
Any merger of this size especially in media is bad for us. Now include who it is doing the buying and realize we very cooked.
Score: 21 Votes (Like | Disagree)
12 weeks ago
Frankly, I thought the Netflix deal was the lesser of two evils. Ideally, WB would stay as its own thing. With minimal crossover between Netflix and WB, there wouldn't be much in the way of job losses, and the more Netflix spoke about it, the more comfortable I felt. What with theatrical releases being guaranteed on the film side, and HBO being left to do what they do best. With Paramount taking over, there may be hundreds, if not thousands, of jobs that are duplicated and will have to be thinned out. This is really worrying. Of course, we can't discount the probable political pressure which has likely come to bear in Paramount and its owners' favour.
Score: 14 Votes (Like | Disagree)